- The Lehigh Valley Railroad was
built through the village. A freight yard was installed to sort the freight
cars and make up trains. A roundhouse and shop was built to repair
locomotives. The yard was a division point for the changing of crews, just
short of their 100 mile limit.
On August 16, the citizens of the
village voted to incorporate. The village population was 365
The first passenger got off the
train at the local station on September 1st.
In November, the Lehigh Valley
Railroad was completed as were bunk houses and the first modern restaurant.
Gilligan's General Store was also built.
- The first mail carrier was Rubin
Gulvin who carried from 1893 to 1910. After his death Robert Farrell
continued to carry the mail.
The village was surveyed and maps
William A. And Marietta Hawkes
opened a bakery on North Main Street which provided village residents with
delectable baked goods for 70 years.
- Oil street lamps were installed.
The first lamp lighter, Merrit Macumber, earned $ .50 per night.
- The first store built in Manchester
on the north-east corner of Clifton and Main Streets burned. Since
re-building it has been occupied by the Pratt Brothers, Smith & Johnson,
Johnson & Bennett, and St. Dominic's Church. Aladdin's Antiques is currently
located in the building.
- A new union school for District #8
was opened on North Main Street at a cost of $10.000.
May 18, The Lehigh's crack
passenger train "BLACK DIAMOND" was started.
Fifteen freight trains and six
passenger trains passed through the yard daily. About 275 persons were
employed with up to 1,000 working at peak times.
- New residents were coming to work
on the railroad. The older residents did not welcome the newcomers. Each
ethnic group was suspicious of and unfriendly to the others as they
struggled to adapt to their new lives. New homes were being built along Main
and Salt (State) Streets. Many of these homes included barns to house horses,
still the main means of transportation. The Village also contained a number
- Union School #8 became a high
- Carlos Osgood established a
telephone line between Manchester and Shortsville.
- The Red Jacket Telephone Company
was formed by Carlos Osgood. The office and switchboard were located at the
corner of Merrick and State Streets. Some of the early officers and stock
holders were, Robert Peck, W. C. Ellis, Dr. John Pratt, and W. H. Preston.
The village's first electric bill
was $28.00 per month, paid to Ontario Light and Traction Co.
- Hawkes Bakery was moved to a
building on the southwest corner of Main & State Streets.
- Oct. 26, entries in Carlos Osgood
diary. "Leo Hessney's girl arrived from Syria, Beruit, last night. Abbott
paid $300 for her. They are to keep open house for a number of days."
Nov 5, "The great social event of
the year, the marriage of Lena Hessney to Leo Jacobs which was solemnized by
a priest of the Orthodox Greek Church in Pratt's Hall. The entertainment at
the house was lavish, and guests were present from Geneva, Ithaca and
Wilkesbarre. The priest was from the latter place".
- A man was electrocuted by stepping
on a downed wire. His wife, Mrs. Fox, sued the village and the Ontario Light
and Traction Company and collected $7,000 for his death.
- July 23, "Band concert at night.
Twenty-two years ago tonight the Manchester Band gave their first concert in
the then new bandstand".
- April 24, (C.
O's Diary). "The
steam sawmill belonging to J. N. Smith took fire this morning, about 9:30,
and was entirely destroyed as well as a lot of lumber, wood, logs, and a
Sept. 17, "A number of Lehigh
Valley officials were in town today and extensive improvements are
- Traffic speed signs were installed
on Main Street. The speed limit was seven miles per hour.
The first electric lights were
installed on Main Street.
- The first volunteer fire department
was formed with Jacob Malter as Chief. Thirty names were selected as firemen.
An old blacksmith shop, next to the
bandstand on Mill Hill, was torn down to make room for a combined village and
A 50th Anniversary Commemoration of
the Civil War, attended by President Taft, was held in Rochester. On August
25, 1911, a train carrying many of the veterans and visitors returning home
from the celebration passed through the Manchester Yard. As the train passed
over the Canandaigua outlet trestle, the last nine cars became derailed and
three cars fell off the trestle into the outlet. When the alarm was sounded,
people from all over responded. Dr. John R. Pratt and Coroner Dr. D. A. Eisiline treated people on the west bank. Special trains took the injured
passengers to hospitals in Clifton Springs and Rochester. Some patients were
transported to Canandaigua by ambulance. The death toll reached 29 with 68
It was a terrible tragedy and at
that time, was the greatest disaster in Ontario County history and the worst
tragedy in New York State in 20 years. Corner Eisiline held an inquest at the
G. A. R. Room in Shortsville. Officials and experts testified for days on all
aspects of railroad practices. In the end, it was determined that a rail had
broken from an internal defect. This was the first internal defect of a rail
found in U. S. history and helped lead to the current practice of x-ray or
sound inspection of all rails.
Mottelo's grocery store was built
on Railroad Avenue.
- May 4, (C. O's diary). "In the
evening we went to the Gilman and Chrisley picture show in the building that
was Ed. Smith's Hotel. Opening night of the first theater in Manchester".
Homer Galbraith sold popcorn and later Alice Boardman and Vera Warren played
the piano. Village boys found that they could enjoy a free movie by climbing
in a window into the men's room.
- A water system was installed in
the village using wells on State Street. The water was very hard so a lot of
soap was needed to do the wash. The installation of the water system was a
major step in fighting fires.
- William & Marietta Hawkes retired.
Their sons, Hugh G, & J. Stuart continued to operate the business as Hawkes
- Water rent was $7.00/year. The rate
was $1.75 per quarter for 5000 gallons. Each additional 1000 gallons cost
A new three story school building
was erected on the North Main Street site. This building included a modern
auditorium with balcony.
The fire company became mobilized
with the purchase of a used Peerless fire truck.
- The first Boy Scout Troop was
formed by Rev. Walter St. Johns. The first meeting was held on March 23rd, a
blustery Saturday afternoon, in one of the Sunday School rooms at the
Baptist Church on South Main Street. The first registered scouts were, Alden
Wilkinson, Roger Schultz, Fred Hudson, and Lionel Schultz and four junior
scouts, Thomas Chrysler, Milton Hudson, Albert Chrysler, and Gordon Overacre.